Wednesday, December 14, 2011

If I don't remember it, it didn't happen

I've finally come to terms with the 2nd half of the SECCG... well... let me be more truthful here.  I've finally created a coping mechanisim that will allow me to move on and participate in my daily life without the obsession and depression that accompanies such losses. You may call it denial, but I believe the technical term for it is lacunar amnesia.  Yes, I have willed an eternal sunshine to my spotless mind, if you will.

I've decided to beleive that the second half did not happen.  More than that, its not just that I've decided it didn't happen, in my mind it did not happen.  I have no memory of that 2nd half..at all.  This occurred to me as I was listening to 680 the fan the other day on pocket tunes (PLUG).  They were talking about things I realized I didn't see, didn't remember and didn't care to.  I can quote you no stats from that second half.  I couldn't for the life of me tell you anything other than the score. Did we have turnovers? I don't know. Did we let Honey Badger make his mark? I don't know. Did Crowell ever come back?  I don't know. Yes, I am blocking, or rather have blocked; completely blocked those last 30 minutes from my memory.  I can tell you this with complete honesty, and my wife and friends can attest to this fact. You see I walk around these parts like we won that game.  I'm unabashed in my display of my fandom even in the midst of smurf village. I walk among the throngs of a fanbase whose team obliterated us in that same dome with a swagger not commiserate with what happened on the turf that day or from what people tell me happened in the 2nd half on Dec 3rd. In my mind (and lots of drinking helped me get here the day of and ever since) the SECCG was won at halftime by our dawgs at about the same time the Boise UGA alumni club and I decided to get completely blotto. (ah the Boise UGA alumni club... brethren in exile....finally, but more on them later)

@TodddamnGrantham 's D was playing lights out. ZERO first downs, 12 yards total offense for the Tigers and only 19 offensive plays? You've got to be kidding me!  Sure we made some mistakes offensively in that first half,  left some points on the board, but we looked like the better team and there was every reason to expect that we were going to have our SEC championship by the end of the night. I heard more than a few times and I drunk dialed more than a few folks going into the half about how the score should have been 21-0.  And you know  it should have shouldn't it?  That feeling was something I haven't experienced in years, and I guess a part of me just decided right then and there that no matter what happened after halftime I got what I needed and would be happy. I made a decision. I was not going to let anything spoil this for me.  From that moment forward, and as our very own former redcoat Sarah  played the battle hymn, the Boise UGA alumni club proceeded to get our drank on. Oh yeah, that's right, we partied  like it was 2005.  There was Denver from Athens who we just met that very day buying everyone shots. Round after round of shots; too many shots but this was no ordinary day in our minds. This was Championship Saturday, so why hold back? I think we drank a shot for every 3 and out we had that first half. There might have been an attempt to play the CBS drinking game too, I just can't be sure. The bourbon flowed, and halftime was a blur. I remember there were Georgia fans in all directions, all wearing the red and black. Then a spontaneous eruption of  "whats that coming down the tracks" that I'm pretty sure I lead, and that I'm positive must have impressed upon the other patrons first hand that there is in fact nothing finer in the land than a drunk obnoxious Georgia fan.   Hell we even had a few LSU fans, a bama fan and a Flordia fan chiming in, it was a bubble of SEC love in exile.  These folks who were strangers to me and to each other just a few weeks prior who were now hugging and drinking like were were long lost friends hanging out at a tailgate on northcampus. Instant connection in exile.  Drunkenness in exile.  Victory in exile.
Thats right, we won...that half, bulldawgs in exile
But something funny happened when the second half started.  I know we got our asses kicked because I've seen the score and I may have read a gamecap that night, but for the life of me I can not remember a single damned thing about the second half......... and you know what...it feels pretty damn good.  Denial in exile.  By the pictures I found on my phone the next day, none of us allowed those last 30 minutes to get in the way of our 1st half celebration.  I can not bring myself to watch the replay, I can not bring myself to listen to a dissection of what happend.  By god, we went 10.5 and 2 this year and we get to beat up on another B1G team in a decent bowl game. That is just about as far from what I expected as possible when I took Marta home smelly drunk at 1am on Sept 3rd. If  you would have told me that night we would be back in Atlanta to cap off the season, I would have pegged you for a Boise State fan or delusional optimist, or both.

On this Dec 3rd, exactly 3 months later none of us cared about the final score. And even though the stink of the loss to BSU will never fully wash off, in the course of twelve months, Richt and company took us from the smoldering ruins of a loss to UCF in a bowl game no one wants to remember but we should NEVER forget and an 0-2 start to reel off 10 wins in a row. Who could have predicted in that lifeless effort against UCF that one year later we would win the east?  This finish might be the best thing that could have happened to us.  I mean ANY cockiness that might have crept into our guys on that 10-0 stretch surely was beaten out of them by the end of that SECCG.  We saw how champions play, we got some extra experience on the big stage and by god, our young team smacked around those Tigers for 30 minutes to boot.   All invaluable for next years campaign.  So we got bludgeoned you tell me? I don't remember it and you shouldn't either.  Why don't you try some lacunar amnesia and a few dozen shots yourself.

And now, I give you Sarah, former redcoat, current bulldawg in exile


video
I could almost hear Munson........"glory glory to Ole Georgia,.....heroes have graced the field before you.   Men with hearts bodies and minds of which the entire bulldog nation can be justifiably proud...The tradition of unbridled excellence demonstrated by these individuals and many others spans more than full century.  And now a new breed of Bulldog stands ready to take the field of battle to resume the reigns of their Georgia forebearers and continue the tradition...understanding that there is no tradition more worthy of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty than the University of Georgia. As we prepare for another meeting between the hedges let all the bulldog faithful rally behind the men who now wear the red and black with two words....two simple words which express the sentiments of the entire bulldog nation............Go Dawgs! "






3 comments:

  1. GKP and his G flag can be seen hanging at The Falcon Tavern (downtown Boise). Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exile
    That is a freakin awesome post. I, like you, have put the 2nd half behind me. Even in person, it did not even seem like it was happening. I have watched the playback of the 1st half, cut if off and it is still at the halftime show on my DVR. It will remain there until next year when I rewind it and watch the 1st half again when spring kicks off. All I can remember about the game is the smug face of the LSU gal sitting in front of me in the Dome. What can I say? I deserved it because for 30 minutes I cheered in her face like a wild man. That 1st half defense was a thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to a return trip to the Dome next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do it well in your performance while playing the flute.. awesome.. amanda vanderpool model

    ReplyDelete