Wednesday, January 19, 2011

10 Years

I've been careful to not be overly sentimental in the blog.  While part of this blog is written for my specific psychological well being, usually it is in the context of sports or missing the South.  However, 10 years ago today, a terrible event happened that changed the way many people I know view life. 

It was a rainy day in Athens.  The kind of cold windy rain that gets in you.  Thankfully, the kind of day you only have in Athens once or twice a year.  I remember hearing about it.  Not knowing why.  I remember meeting at a resturant.  I remember bagpipes and "Amazing Grace." 

I also remember the questions. Why? How? Why? Who? But why?  I remember the tears.  I remember the smile that was gone.

I don't often think of that day.  When I do, it is usually the feeling of regret at opportunity lost and the young life extinguished.  Today, for whatever reason, it is of abject sadness.  Sadness that the killer hasn't been found.  Sadness at the pain her close friends and family must still feel.  Sadness that this could, did, happen in Athens. 

Tara, RIP.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this and reminding us. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) lived a few houses down from Tara on Fawn Dr. when this happened. I was at her place when the police came to question neighbors about the crime. Still can't believe this happened... and that the murderer has never been caught.

    ReplyDelete