Friday, July 30, 2010

DGD and a Ton of Hearts

Former Georgia golfer Erik Compton was the club house leader after two one rounds of The Greenbriar Classic in West Virginia.  If you remember, he was in position to make the cut at the US Open, but put up a big Friday number to miss the cut.  Compton, who had a heart transplant at age 12, then another a two years ago, played for the Dawgs in the late 90's and early 00's, including lettering for the Dawgs on their SEC Championship teams in 2000 and 2001.

Compton tees off at 2:30pm Eastern today.  Good luck and here's to a DGD!

2 comments:

  1. Back before my UGA Law days, where I was counseled by a former Georgia boy who was lost to the nether regions, I went to Georgia Southern to undergrad. GSU hosts the Schenkel EZ-Go, one of the top college tournaments in the nation. One year I went to walk the course during the tournament. Luke Donald, then playing at Northwestern, was the hot young golfer and he was the main draw. I can't remember if Compton was playing in Donald's group or not, but at some point Compton walked over and spoke to me while they were waiting to play their next shot. I had no idea who this guy was, and I don't even remember what he was talking about. I think he was looking for somewhere to find a decent meal after the round. Anyway, a little kid was standing there in awe of Erik. His mom then told me that they were from Florida and that her son had a heart defect. The kid couldn't play contact sports because of his condition and they had somehow made friends with Erik. She then told me all about Erik's health conditions. I followed him the rest of the weekend and we talked several times during the weekend. He is a Damn Good Dawg and one hell of a role model.

    ReplyDelete