Monday, June 21, 2010

Not a Tiny Dantzler

At 6'8" and 330lbs, certainly not.  He is very much a huge get for the Dawgs, in every sense of the word. 

I haven't been paying much attention to football recruiting.  One, it is June, so unless someone is transferring from Southern Cal or there is a huge undecided name out there waiting, it just seems so speculative at this point.  Two, even during recruiting season, I try to keep my blogovation about recruits to a minimum, since I don't like to get too wound up over high school kids.  Not that I always succeed.

However, this was a huge get.  Watts was in the running at many schools, with Georgia and Auburn as his top two.  Having a kid from NW Georgia decide Athens was the right place for him, regardless of where his father played college ball, is huge.  Also, this is the same area of the state that Georgia coaches has some alleged bad dealings with a star player recently.  Now, I don't think bad dealings are the same as being a bad guy, man, but having a feel good story coming from a kid that didn't switch schools at the last second (and switch from Vandy to Tennessee, no less) can only help.  It does blunt the random mouth running of the presumptive third string QB for the Vols.

Finally, I haven't paid much attention to the Dream Team thing, but I'm lovin' it just the same.

Watts, you are a DGD.  Welcome aboard.  Props for your handling of the Tech hat.  I hope you handle Tech linemen the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me or does Watts look like Downing Barber, the original "Heavy D"?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't put my finger on it, but now that you mentioned it...

    ReplyDelete