Monday, May 10, 2010

Ouch

As a general rule, I am very careful not to openly call for people's heads.  While my gut instinct is to say something like "man, I wonder why Blair Walsh cannot kick to a three yard point on the field today," I am really thinking "I am going to have a level three meltdown and write Damon Evans a letter calling for the firing of everyone involved in the kicking game if we have that directional kicking sh*tshow again."

However, when someone who only does so for good, sound, logical reason, I take notice.  T. Kyle King did so yesterday.  When I first saw the headline to his post, I though it was another in the long line of the depressive Kyle meme, many of which I have agreed with and enjoyed.  However, this one was different.  He, with his ruthless and laser point logic, pointed out how coaching cost Georgia the game on Sunday.

After the season we have had, you have do ask "What does it matter"?  It matters much.

I am a firm believer that you are always learning and moving forward.  A win, even in a season where competitive games have been rare and wins rarer, is a win.  I get that Coach Perno and his pitching coach want to win; it is ridiculous to think otherwise. I get that hindsight is 20/20 and sometime mixing up the rotation is necessary to turn things around.  I get that in what can be viewed as a lost season, you give your guys a chance to do something different (such as letting them play a different position in a lopsided game).  However, I don't get letting your closer start.  Now you have a closer that thinks that his stuff is gone, a starter who thinks 'if I had only started', and two young guys who had what little confidence they had left knocked into the clay in right center.

T. Kyle is right: Coaching cost Georgia a win in baseball yesterday.  In a season where the win is only for pride, I would posit that it meant more than if it were for the last seat on the bus to Birmingham.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I am missing something, but it appears T. Kyle's whole theory is predicated upon the belief that Alex McRee, who is three for three in save situations this spring, would have closed the door in the ninth.

    While being 3-3 in close situations is nice it would seem ignoring the whole 7.59 ERA thingy is a bit questionable. Additionally, if you look at his stat line as a whole it would seem to indicate he very easily could have had the same melt down in the 9th inning yesterday that he had in the first.

    I am just not seeing how we are making the leap of faith that this pitcher would have come into the game as the closer and it would have been lights out v he comes in and issues a couple walks, a wild pitch, and a double to lose the game.

    reipar

    ReplyDelete