Thursday, May 20, 2010

Izzy's hot younger siblings

London introduced the mascots for the 2012 Olympic games:
(Photo: AP)
Not sure what that is, but I'm guessing it'll go over nearly as well as Izzy did with the 1996 games in Atlanta.

(Hey, y'all!)
I am pretty proud of Atlanta's hosting of the games. I actually have nearly come to blows with people parroting the tripe they have heard or read about the 1996 games.  Sure, there were some downsides, not the least of which was the bombing in Centennial Park and some very interesting enforcement of jaywalking laws downtown.  By and large, the traffic issues were way overplayed.  Tickets to events were plentiful and easy to get to most events.  The parties downtown didn't take on any more of a commercial tone than parties I have seen at bowl games, World Series or The Final Four.  In the end, I think the condemnation has as much to do with the politics of a city in the deep South hosting an Olympics and the perception that Atlanta wasn't a true world city.  The 'Bubba Olympics' were doomed to fail in some people's minds because of where they were located, not because of how well or poorly those games did. 

So much for fair-mindedness and intelligence winning the day.  You know, it being about the competition and all that.

So, London, you have an overweight Cyclops as your mascot.  How worldly do you feel now?

2 comments:

  1. Someone's gonna have to explain to me why they've chosen to highlight the groin region of the cyclops on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, tried as I might, I couldn't figure why the one on the right bothered me so. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete