Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's not my thing, so let it go

As Showgate continues to broil, I am beginning to think the criticism I hear levied at Georgia fans, that we are entitled and whinny, might have a kernel of truth to it.  Take two minutes to read comments on blogs and to newspaper articles.  Read other blogs, for that matter.  I am a bit shocked at the angst being poured out over the 'lack of information' proffered from Coach Richt about his decision to dismiss Zach Mettenberger from the football team.

I, like most of us, am very interested in knowing what precipitated this.  I, like most of us, am more than a bit upset over the loss of a talented football player, especially one that has such strong ties to the program.  I, like many, feel bad for Zach Mettenberger and the ramifications his decisions have had on his present and future.

Note I said the decisions Zach made.  Not to put too fine a point on this, but the only thing Coach Richt did here was exactly what he tells all players he will do if they make poor choices and break team rules.  What happened here is both directly and proximately caused by whatever happened in Remerton six weeks ago and possibly by the actions of The Show afterward.  Since the other day, I have come to believe this was something that came to light very recently and something that Coach Richt had to do.

Look back at the few people that have been dismissed from the football team in Coach Richt's time here.  There are similarities in their stories. None of the dismissals were done lightly.  None were done without just reason.  While I remain interested, both from a prurient standpoint and from that of a regular fan, I don't for a minute doubt the judgment of the man who dismissed a kid, then spent the next afternoon visiting him in jail.  He doesn't owe me anything, other than to ensure the program he runs is done so according to the standards he clearly set out, ones which I believe we'd all agree are appropriate.  In that regard, I believe he has done so, even if I never find out the reasons behind this decision.

My "rights" as a fan, contributor, and alumnus end there. 

Related:
- You can't handle the truth (The Senator)
- Bulldogs Blog: Now 110% More Scandalous (Hale)

1 comment:

  1. ok..guess i can buy that.

    ReplyDelete