Friday, March 12, 2010

Turn the page

If you know me, you know I am not that prone to nostalgia. It has always seemed better and healthier to look to the future. Oh, I love old school stuff enough to miss it, I just don't get caught up in the "I wish it were like back in the ...." thought. Furthermore, as people move into and out of my life, I am usually pretty happy for folks as they go to different places. Certainly technology has made it easier to keep up with friends, but again, it is probably a defense mechanism on my part. Being the fat funny one in high school will help you develop a keen defense mechanism.

However, today is the end of an era. The Mayor is leaving. If you have read the blog much, you know The Mayor as the guy in Champaign that knows everyone. I don't mean that as hyperbole. The old joke 'who is the guy in the pointy hat with The Mayor' is about him. I have seen him run into people he knows at Cardinals games, White Sox games, Cubs games, random bars and restaurants in Chicago and Indianapolis and New York City and Gibson City. Hell, he ran into people he knew at the 2008 Georgia-Kentucky game when we road tripped to Lexington.

The Mayor is leaving the area. He grew up here and he is a large part of why I decided to haul my cookies to Central Illinois. He's been here for over 20 years at the university. However, he has a great opportunity in Cleveland that he cannot pass up.

So DJ, here is some Cheap Trick for you. Good luck and Godspeed, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment