Thursday, February 18, 2010

A tale of two halves

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  11 free throw attempts in the first half.  Two in the second.  Strong passing and solid ball protection in the first half.  Lazy passing and waiting for someone to do something in the second. 

In the end, Vols beat the Dawgs 69-60.  It was a game effort, up until the last eight minutes of the game.  This was as close to the UK game as we have seen in a road game.  Regretfully, it takes 40 minutes of basketball to win on the road in the SEC.  Thompkins scores 25 and the Dawgs have more rebounds than UT and still lose. 

I would like to say it was the officials.  I told Ms. Bulldog in Exile that it looked like the officials realized they had a huge foul call disparity at the half and were trying not to call Tennessee's aggressive play in the second.  I am not blaming the offcials for the loss.  You should expect that on the road.  I do think they let some hacking go on in the second half, especially when Leslie had the ball underneath, that they called in the first.  I can't say what that meant mentally to Travis, but he only scored four points and at the end was looking to pass back out anytime he had the ball underneath.  I probably would too if I had to drag Lanier and Walton up and down the court for 48 minutes....

Where was I?  Oh, yeah.  The Dawgs lose to the Vols. 

I did notice that they were talking about the Volunteer's NCAA tourney resume and for the first time in four years, a loss to Georgia didn't show up as a 'bad' loss.  That is something.

Dawgs take on Alabama at home this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment