Saturday, January 30, 2010

The end of the world as we know it?

It could be.  The Obama Administration has officially responded to Senator Hatch's request that the DOJ into the anti-trust issues surrounding the BCS.  If you are anti-playoff, the news isn't good.

As the letter put it
"The administration shares your belief that the current lack of a college football national championship playoff with respect to the highest division of college football ... raises important questions affecting millions of fans, colleges and universities, players and other interested parties"

It remains to be seen if this is florific language designed to keep the good Senator off the administration's back or an indication that the DOJ will go looking and get involved. 

It doesn't bode well, if you are anti-playoff, that the administration is asking the FTC to look into potential consumer protection issues.  If I were the American League, I'd be nervous, I mean with the designated hitter and all.  Unpure baseball, if ask me.  I've been harmed many times as a consumer due to the American League's advantage in the All Star Game and World Series.  I demand change I can believe in.

I am sure we'll see and hear more about this in the future, but it does bear asking:  Is the current manner of selecting an NCAA field for basketball discriminatory?  Hey, 20-9 in the WAC certainly isn't considered the same as a 20-9 record in the Big East.  Doesn't that go against the "basic fairness that every family tries to instill in their children from the day they are born"?  Or does it only matter that more than two teams get to play for a National Championship?

1 comment:

  1. Not only should we get rid of the DH rule, we should also send Milwaukee back to the AL!

    I have also been harmed by the SEC's insistence on hiring officials employed by Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial. Given the financial investments those companies have made in the SEC, there is an apparent conflict of interest.

    I have also been harmed by Florida's 17-3 run against Georgia in Jacksonville. The Gators have won more than their "fair share" and redistribution is required.

    My neighbor's pool is also much bigger than mine. Can we have the government confiscate part of it to subsidize my relaxation abilities that have been caused undue harm by his decadence?

    ReplyDelete