Tuesday, November 3, 2009

When the fall’s all that’s left, it matters a great deal.

I have read enough about this season being over and how people are thinking about the next game being in September 2010. If you think that, or have annonymously posted that to the Dawg Vent, well...I don't know what to say but shame on you.

Yes, we are all disappointed with the way this season is turning out. I believe the more resonable among us felt like 8-4 would have been about right at the beginning of the season and 6-6 was a possibility. So, now that is actually happening, it is cause for abandoning our team (well, my team now)? So be it. Have fun being a Tech fan. Seriously, as upset as I am over playcalling, player mistakes and coaching schemes, people acting like the next five games don't matter just irks me.

As Bernie put it, we now have a new season. I don't think for a second that you can just erase all that has happened, pretend that the very real problems on both sides of the ball (or all three sides, if you count special teams beyond punting and place kicking) are over, ignore the play of some of the key positions on the field, or fix all of those things going forward. I do think there is something to play for this season.

  • A bowl game. Look, after being disappointed with the Capital One Bowl last year, it is natural for us to be disappointed with any game that isn't played on New Year's Day. However, for recruiting purposes, making a bowl game, regardless of where, is still a big deal. It matters to the team, as well. Putting aside some esoteric notion of bowl streaks, having a bowl game to get one more game in for the seniors and underclassmen is huge. Winning a bowl game, even if it is against a 'crappy' opponent, is a big deal, especially in the media.
  • Second in the SEC East. Yes, Tenn has the tiebreaker on us and the easier schedule. This is the SEC. Anything can happen. I realize this is a stretch, but for some reason, it means something to me right now.
  • Beating Auburn. Because it would make Kyle King happy and today is his birthday (Happy Birthday, by the way). And it is Auburn and will shut up those that think the Tigers are back.
  • Spoil Georgia Tech's season. I could (and probably will) write a whole post on this. Let me say simply making any discussion of Georgia Tech and BCS championship completely irrelevant before the ACC championship game is enough for me. Shutting up Schultz, et al at the AJC is a bonus.
  • Fans don't quit their team. Followers do. Be righteous in your indignation; we certainly have plenty to be indignant about. Don't quit on the football team or the program. Doing so leads to things like having walkup sales for the biggest game of the season and having to schedule games on Thursday night. Don't be that guy.

The team will battle through this. We owe it to them, if we are to enjoy the high points, to support them through the low points and battle through it with them. I believe there are high points to achieve this season.

Go Dawgs!

-------------------------------

Addendum:  Coach Richt put in two sentences what I was thinking when I wrote this post:

"If we made a move and said, 'Hey, we're playing for next year,' in my mind, we've given up on the season. We've quit. And we don't quit at Georgia. We don't teach our guys to quit."
In other words, Finish the Drill.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!! I'm with you 100% on this!

    The Gameday Chef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my friend. Let's bid a fond farewell to the fair weather fans.

    ReplyDelete