Thursday, October 8, 2009

I know your anger, I know your dreams

This is why I cannot fathom Yahoo 'experts.' Notre Dame? National Title Picture? Excuse me?

What about the one loss team that ACTUALLY beat them? Anyone? Is this thing on?

Thankfully, the Irish has to play Southern Cal, which should be a beat down of epic proportions. But even at 10-2, the Irish end up with a BCS game. Sorry for the rant, but everyone here seems to be Irish appologist (crazy Catholics). Even the wife enjoys giging me about it sometimes.

As an aside, if I were to be backed into a corner and HAD to say there was one thing about my wife that isn't perfect, it is her insistence on defending Notre Dame. See, crazy Catholics...from Indiana, to boot. She also has a Peyton Manning worship issue (as a Colts fan) that is just a bit difficult for me to take, but I don't care about pro-football that much and she hates Orange as much as me, so we just agree to disagree there. Where was I?

Oh yeah. The Irish. Sheesh. I can think of about 10 teams that deserve BCS talk ahead of the Irish, if for no other reason than the Irish's schedule. They play one marquee team this year (USC), with several second level teams (depending on how Michigan turns out) and several more complete cupcakes. Who are those teams ahead of Notre Dame, right now (in no particular order)?

Michigan, 4-1. Winners over Notre Dame.
Virginia Tech, 4-1. Only loss was to Alabama.
Penn State, 4-1. Only loss was to 5-0 Iowa.
Ohio State, 4-1. Only loss was to USC.
Iowa, 5-0. Enough said.
Miami, 3-1. Loss to Virginia Tech.
Oregon, 4-1. Loss to BYU.
TCU, 5-0. Enough said.
Wisconsin, 5-0. Enough said.
Stanford, 4-1. Loss to Wake Forest.

I could probably list another four or so that merit discussion with Notre Dame, and might put BYU ahead of Notre Dame, but below the preceding list.

Also, if I hear Jimmy Clausen and Heisman in the same sentence again...

Sorry for the rant and complete lack of rationality here. I just needed to get that off my chest. Ok, I feel a little better now. A little.


I blame him.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. The bizarre reverence that people have from Notre Dame just chaps my ass. Join a BCS conference, even a weak one like the Big East (or Big Ten), play more than two real teams a year and then come and talk to me about National Championships. Or BCS bowls.

    ReplyDelete