Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Mumme Returns

Last season, Senator Blutarsky at Get the Picture conjured the idea of a poll based on approval voting (not ranking individually, but merely grouping teams in cohorts and recognizing the teams in the top cohort). He called it the Mumme Poll, in honor of Hal Mumme's number one vote for Hawaii at the end of the 2007 regular season.

Hello, my name is Marcus (Image:Washington Post)

Last year, I participated and found it to be a liberating experience, not for the shear ego factor of having my thoughts memorialized (I have a blog for that), but because it forced me to seriously evaluate teams, their seasons, personnel, and coaches in ways that I hadn't done beyond the level of passing fancy. In short, it was worth the time I spent voting and posting my ballots and reasoning because I grew as a college football fan. I'll do so again this year. We'll have a group hug now.

So...the Poll is open for registration. It is "open to any knowledgeable, enthusiastic college football fan." And bloggers.

Go register and participate. Part of the original idea was to demystify polls and provide an outlet for fans (who are more likely to view a number of games, as opposed to one game a week like coaches or media) an outlet for their thoughts on who is deserving of recognition as among the 'best' in the nation. That is what makes college football so great: the idea that people can and do differ on what teams are the best.

If you don't do it for yourself, do it for Hal.

Mumme Returns.
The Poll's sequel will be better than the coaching sequel, I swear.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the shout out, DiE.

    In about half a day, we've already got more than 100 registrants, so I'm excited about that.

    It should be a fun ride again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the majority will stick it out and finish the season. Thank for keeping it alive.

    ReplyDelete